Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Cosby All-Stars

I don't know about you, but I love the Coz. Bill Cosby is a pioneer in comedy and television and has quite possibly has become in his old age. For those of you unfamiliar with the greatness of the Coz, turn on any re-run of the Cosby Show or watch his stand-up and you'll see what I'm talking about. (I challenge you to not laugh at this)
I was watching an episode of the Jay Leno Show recently and the Coz was a guest. Now there are very few people who command or have the stage presence to be a guest on a talk show and completely take it over. Jay had no control over the show, and it was for the better. The audience, myself included, was enamored with the Coz. Whatever Jay thought he would ask Cosby before the show was thrown out the window and the Coz talked about whatever he pleased. (This clip isn't from that episode, but it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about)]
Now why do I bring this up? Because there are very few people in the sports world that can be compared to Cosby. Few athletes have achieved the level where if they want to do it in a game, there is no stopping it.
Historically, basketball superstars Wilt Chamberlain and Michael Jordan could lay claim to this.
Ted Williams and Bob Gibson were similar in the baseball world. But allow me to reveal the 5 athletes from this decade who could be compared to the Coz.
Without further ado, the Cosby All-Stars.

1.) LeBron James
Having not personally witnessed former great basketball players, I can not attest to how amazing they were to watch in person. However, I have seen LeBron and when he decides he is going to take over the game, there is simply no stopping him. His performance against the Pistons in Game 5 of the 2007 Eastern Conference Finals was the most dominating I have ever seen.

2.) Tiger Woods
The man won the US Open...with a broken leg. Need I say more?

3.) Michael Phelps/Usain Bolt
Both athletes are doing things unprecedented in their respective sports. Rarely do you see athletic events where the outcome is not in doubt. Call is narcissistic, but Bolt pulling up 15 meters early in the Olympics and outstretching his arms while still breaking the world record was pretty amazing.

4.) Albert Pujols
I was hesitant to put Pujols on this list simply because baseball players can not win game without serviceable pitching, not to mention the fact that pitchers can walk him if they want to. That being said, I could not leave out for my money, the greatest baseball player of my generation.

5.) Kevin Durant circa 2007
Next decade, I may be able to omit the circa 2007 label, but Kevin Durant was the best college basketball player I have ever seen. He could score at will and was a solid defender. This compilation makes my point for me

Let me know your thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment