Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Series That Were

Cardinals v. Dodgers
Prediction: Cards in 5
Result: Dodgers in 3
I hate to scapegoat one person, but Matt Holliday's now-infamous drop Game 2 basically sealed the Cards fate.
But I will say that I do not like that the Dodgers did not pitch to Albert Pujols. I understand teams intentionally walking players in late inning situations, but they were giving him a free pass in the first inning. If I were the Dodgers pitchers, I would want to face Pujols. How could you consider yourself one of the best pitchers if you won't throw to the league's best hitter?

Phillies v. Rockies
Prediction: Phils in 3
Result: Phils in 4
Kudos to both teams for giving us the best series of the first round. The series was marred by complaints regarding umpires, but I have never been one to believe umpires or referees make or break games. These guys have an inglorious job and I salute them for not lashing out towards the fans. All I have to say is institute instant replay for close calls. Give the refs a break.

Red Sox v. Angels
Prediction: Angels in 4
Result: Angels in 3
I was going to write about each team's most dangerous hitter, but I nixed the idea when I could not think of the Red Sox most dangerous hitter. Normally it would have been Big Papi, but he is not the same. That's when I knew that the Angels, who are the most fundamentally sound team in baseball with arguably the best manager in baseball, would win the series. And that is just what happened.

Yankees v. Twins
Prediction: Yanks in 3
Result: Yanks in 3
Not much to say here. The Yankees were coming in well rested and against a team that was physically and emotionally drained. The Twins did not stand a chance

No comments:

Post a Comment